So you want to write blogs?
Here are my simple guides to help you in your first few steps.
1. Choose a blogging platform. There are many platforms you can choose and use at your own convenience, preference, and future plans. Most of it is user-friendly, like Blogger, WordPress, etc. Avail first of the free plans, feel the craft and follow their set-up instructions.
2. Categorize your blogging. You must know your label, brand, and coverage whether you would blog on lifestyle, leadership, family, hobbies or any particular interests of your expertise. Focus on your specialty or specific target audience.
3. Create the compelling title for each blog. Think of an interestingly captivating title of your article. It must be a phrase that would compel your reader to read your blog. Don’t underestimate the power of a great title idea.
4. Connect immediately with a lead paragraph. Your first sentence must be short and powerful enough to interest your reader. Always strive for short sentences and paragraphs to hook in your readers.
5. Concentrate on the relevant theme. When making your draft, all your explanations, illustrations or applications must be in line with the theme you have. Eliminate ideas that are not related to your topic.
6. Capture the mind and heart of your readers. Use phrases that appeal to the intelligence and emotions of your readers. Some of the examples are:
- When you really begin to ___________then ___________.
- You may have already started to notice _____________.
- The fact that _____________ means ___________________.
- A person could _____________.
- Don’t _____________ too quickly.
- By the time you’ve started to ___________ you will ______.
7. Comment with your personal experience. Whether it’s a story, idea or example, make it personal. But don’t make everything in your blog about yourself. Think of your reader always.
8. Construct the main body with an outline. Your blog must be easy to scan. Use numbered outline or bullet points for your readers to have an overview. Whether you use three or ten points, it must be easy to follow.
9. Conclude your blog with a discussion question. It is better if you leave an open question to interact with your readers like:
- How would you feel if you _?
- Can you imagine _?
- What happens when you _?
10. Continue sharpening your blogging skills. Creating excellent blogs take time. Use simple words that your reader can understand. I usually write with 500 to 600 words only, except on occasional and special topics where I felt the need to go beyond.
You may create internal links for cross referencing your blog with another. Make sure to give credit to whom credit is due to avoid plagiarism.
Like in most practices of communication, be it public speaking (teaching, preaching, motivating, etc), writing (article, songwriting, book or screen writing, etc.), bloggers must be aware of reasoning out with the head, touching the heart, compelling the hands to act with occasional humor.
Above all, if there’s one thing you need to remember in making your blog, it’s this: Keep on writing while having fun blogging.
Glenn Plastina (c) 2017